Monday, January 21, 2008

Once more into the breach!

Okay, this is the third or fourth time I've had a go at blogging. The software didn't work out quite the way I'd hoped when hosted directly on my server, so I thought I'd give Blogger a try - I've seen a number of blogs done using this particular product, and I like the look and feel. So ... here goes!


Well, I've been flying so far under the radar for so long, I expect a lot of people have forgotten about me. The past few years have been challenging - my previous blog actually covered a lot of that, with a major car accident that put my Mom in the hospital, my two beloved cats Micki and Ryan passing away within days of each other, my Mom's subsequent illness (a bad reaction to a rheumatoid arthritis drug), and a work schedule that still leaves me breathless on occasion. Add to that a couple more deaths in the family of the human variety, as well.


On the up side, I do still have my Mom, and my grandmother (she'll be 99 in June!), I still have four of my six cats (Neffer, Max, Buddha, and Zen). I just got a promotion at work, proving that the long hours and hard work were noticed. I'm still quite a ways away from what I used to make in Massachusetts, but with the car paid off, the raise that came with the promotion is very nice indeed.


My health has been iffy - I had a cancer scare a few months ago, and thankfully the biopsy came back benign. I spent the holidays sick with the mutating cold - I'm still dealing with residual symptoms, but yesterday - the 20th of January - was the first day I'd actually felt well since Christmas Eve. I'd planned all of this activity - from getting organized to starting an exercise program - over the holidays, and all I could handle was laying on the couch catch up on my recordings.


But at fifty - about to turn fifty-one later this week - I do really need to start thinking a little more seriously about my health. Women on my Mom's side of the family live a long time, and I think I'd like to try that, only healthy. So I've started to make some small adjustments in my diet - I want to end up with something I can actually sustain - and I'm clearing an area to start with yoga and tai chi again. And we'll see where that takes me.

And I'm reaching out. I've just reopened my trading site after more than a year of no updates. I've posted on the Vendredi Press Yahoogroups list that I'm interested in writing fiction and letting others post on the list. I'm in the process of contacting my old friends to reopen communications. Again, we'll see where that takes me.

Fannishly, I haven't been active for a couple of years. It's strange that I got back into trading as a result of the zine. I wanted to convert Magnificent 7 to DVD in order to write a Mag7/Stargate SG-1 crossover. I never finished the crossover - although I do still have notes - but I've ended up building my program collection considerably, I found some old friends in the process, discovered new ones, and really drifted away from fandom in the process. I haven't been to a con in over a year. A year! But I'm hoping to go to at least one if not two or three in the coming year, and I actually had an idea for a story the other night. A full-blown, I have to get this written down story. So, the Vendredi Press list that I had planned to shut down may yet live again, and I may yet write more fiction. This is why I learned years ago never to say I'm leaving fandom - I take breaks now and then, but I never leave.

In terms of the trading hobby, as I said, I just updated my list for the first time in a year. My original DVD recorder has been acting up, so I bought a new one, with a larger hard drive, at Christmas, plus I got another Panasonic with points so I can finalize discs made on the original machine. Among these machines and the shortened season resulting from the writer's strike, I'm finally catching up. Which means I will hopefully finally have time to transfer some of those old shows that I got the recorder to do in the first place!

So, I'm going to try to keep this up. I'll see how it goes - my first blog hosted on my web site ended up being filled with really unpleasant spam comments, and the software didn't allow for me to shut down comments to only registered users. The next blog didn't have a place for comments. I'll try opening the comments on this one and see how it plays out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home